This is a place where my family and friends can share in my day's activities and personal thoughts.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A coupla weeks ago, someone very instrumental in my life died. His name is Victor Doggett.
I met Mr Doggett when I was 8 years old, and had to audition to get into his music school. I didnt know that I would be seeing a lot more often than I really wanted! Every year that I took an ABRSM exam, I had to go in for 2 hearings. One in Feb to see if I am good enough to be entered, and one in July just before my exam. Sometimes, if my July hearing didnt go good enough, I would have to have a re-hearing. All those times were very stressful because Mr Doggett was strict, and he knows what he likes, and what he doesnt like, and he's not afraid to tell you! But under his tutelege, I grew as a musician. I didnt like the hearings, but on hindsight, he really pushed me to do better than I thought I could. I did my LTCL teaching diploma with the Victor Doggett Music Studios, and one part of the exam was an interview. Mr. Doggett gave me a mock interview just before my exam, and asked me a question I didnt know. I hemmed and hawed, and came up with some strange answer. He gave me the best advice then. He said, NEVER be afraid to say you dont know the answer.Then he took a chance with me and gave me some students of my own, and I became a piano teacher at the VDMS.
I thought life would be so much easier now that I'm the teacher and not the student. But he was just as strict with the teachers as he is with the students. If my students didnt perform well, I got called into his office. The first few years were horrible because I was constantly afraid of him, and as a teacher I didnt do so well. But again, Mr Doggett pushed me and pushed me, and I became more confident in my teaching abilities. He forced me to take responsibility for myself and my students. And he was quick to praise when my students did well. He not only helped me mature as a musician, but as a boss, he also helped me mature as a person. I started out cowering in his presence. By the time I left the studios for studies abroad, I was able to joke and laugh with him and carry a conversation with him.
Mr Doggett wasnt always strict. He had a ready smile, and he had a pretty good sense of humor too. We had music appreciation every other Saturday, and one Sat he turned on the CD player, and no music came out. He fiddled with it some and turned to the class and asked, Do you hear anything? We said no, and he said, Well, Neither do I! I dont know why that was funny, but the whole class bust out laughing. Then he had to go get Nick to help him.
Mr Doggett was very very passionate about his music. One of his favorites, I believe was the Rite of Spring by Stravinsky. I thought it was the longest most strange piece I've ever heard, but as I watched Mr Doggett as the piece was playing, he had this expression of pure joy and appreciation on his face. His head was tilted back and his eyes were closed, and I think he just soaked it all in. He expected the best playing from all his students, and I think the younger ones didnt understand, but as always, hindsight is always 20/20, and it is now that I appreciate what I mistook for his passion for the music for strictness.
My dad went for his cremation, and I'm glad he did. If he didnt think of it, I was going to ask him to go on my behalf. I owe a lot to this man. More than I thought I did. Afterwards, my dad wrote me an email telling me about it, and here is an excerp of that email:
"Personally, I felt that I was in the presence of a great man - a man of vision and purpose, who contributed much through his dedication and unwavering focus. That's what makes a man great, and unforgettable. I was very glad that my 3 children all came under his pupillage in one way or another, and had come in contact with him. You yourself can do no better than emulate him. When we were in the viewing room before the coffin was wheeled in for cremation, a tear involuntarily flowed down my cheek."

Thank you, Mr Doggett, for showing me what being a true musician and a person is all about. You taught me so much more than just how to play the piano or play the music that is set in front of me. You taught me to go deeper than the notes, to the core of the piece, to the heart of the composer. Thank you for making me pay attention to the smallest details of the music, so that it's not just me playing the piece, but me expressing myself. Thank you for forcing me to rise up to the occasion, not just for my students, but for myself as well. For pushing me to my limits, and then pushing me over, so I could see what more I can accomplish. You gave me confidence I didnt think I had. Thank you, Mr Doggett, for everything. May you rest in peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hey! are you Ms Lim?

9:08 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute.

3:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home